|Posted by Ivarr Bergmann on January 31, 2019 at 4:00 AM|
Ive never cared much for these nylon butt-packs that hit the scene in the 90. They were meant to use with the LBV88. They were saggy, thin and worst of all they were way to engineered with loads of useless straps to stow, cut or tape up. I never seemed to have a use for the congression of loose straps that were provided so they were either cut off of taped up. Whats more is without proper support like tape of 550 on the belt these packs would simply fold up in the center from sliding on the belt as they were pulled on by ALICE shoulder straps. Simply put I never like these and seldom ever used one if i could help it. I usually found these cheap and harvested the bounty of straps and buckle from them and the rest went to the trash bin.
I wont get into the rig this is now mounted on or why I chose to to use this but suffice I was very unhappy with the MOLLE Butt-Pack Ive been using for a few years now. Suffice to say I salvaged this one right form the abyss of the trash bin this morning and decided to have at it under the sewing machine. It was a mod that was beckoning me to follow it through. But I needed to add it to a MOLLE rig and this is a ALICE mounted pack. Well I needed to add what was left of it. However salvaging parts from this ove the fall for various projects made reapplying the straps and hardware MY WAY much easier and simplified the entire pack
Two buckles on the lid with enough webbing to go under it to cinch down a load to stabilize it.. .The first step was adding new straps and buckles. I kept is simple and stream-lined.. I scoured the scrap box for Fasttex clips and strips of webbing. I went with dark earth just to be fancy. I used it on the cinch straps guide tabs and on the top female Fastex clips. For the cinch straps and male clips i used some salvaged British webbing though my machines hates this stuff as you'll see on the messy seams in the back.
The end result was very simple and stream lined. The extra earth-brown tabs on the belly of the pack will get rid of its previous issues of those straps being so unruly.
Moving on... The securingt straps..
On the back I used some existing straps as the securing web to feed through the MOLLE on the belt part of the rig. They were already there so I just use them as is. I added some extra stitching at the top of the securing straps simply for peace of mind though I know it would hold as is.To secure the straps once fed through the MOLLE on the belt I simply used these buckles that were once on this pack. They are very very secure. There was no sticking involved and it was super simply. Just attached them to the lower cinch straps that hold the lid closed. They are in place and ready to be used once the pack is attached to the rig.
The plan was sound and working itself out. It simply improved as it went. I added two more webbing tabs to make this act like it wanted to be a MOLLE poach. My machine at this point was acting up badly. It has a chronic reaction to British webbing straps for some reason.
This is what it moved into being..
It was turning out well and taking minimal effort. I was pleased. I was fitting a square peg into a round hole by tricking the peg.
The rig ...
This is the undersideof the cinch strap that will attack to the load bearing straps once its fed through..
This side of the buckle will lay against my body..
and so on...
Simply fed through like a real MOLLE pouch..
Sorta self explanitory..
The green webbing laying on the brown is the part that is fed into the buckle.. do as you wish with the loose strip. I simply tucked it under the belt.
This is how it looks attached..
The Pack attached.... It can hold a lot. Here i just jammed a load into it for reference. but I leave packs like this lightly loaded for the possibility of having to haul scavenged items later. Plus it keeps the weight evened up all around.
The face.. (rear)
This shot if not the same as the above. Look close. I added 550 to support the packs attachment web straps directly at the buckles. I did this with the MOLLE butt-pack that was designed for this. Its not because this is a Franken-Pack. The reason is is that I have a lot of experience with these rigs and while they can handle a close snug load well, a pack like a butt-pack will work the webbing loose on the belt rig becuase of it free hanging nature and causes eventual failure of the webbing on the belt. The 550 simply takes the full burden of the weight that's pulling down off the belt. This is very important when using this rig with a rucksack as well.. I went through 3 of these rigs in one winter one year. I'm hoping this USMC rig is made better than its army counterpart..
Anyhow I hope someone finds this useful. I really dislike the tubular MOLLE Butt-Pack. This version is a better option for me, plus it makes more room on the belt and its not so crowded and jumbled. Weight distribution is better for me as well.Whats more is the pack will stay atablized being fixed properly in the MOLLE webbing and will not slide and close up like on an ALICE rig.
(This is Helga.. my GFs new pup.. She wanted to help)
Categories: Kit Posts